PSEO Application Process
Meet with your high school guidance counselor to discuss your eligibility for the PSEO Program.
Complete the PSEO Application Packet. Packets may be picked up in the guidance office at your high school or at Kent State at Ashtabula. You may also have a packet mailed to your home by calling (440) 964-3322.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
1. PSEO Application for Admission Complete all six sections of the Kent State Ashtabula PSEO Application for Admission. See your high school guidance counselor if you have questions regarding options A or B. Return the Application and Financial Responsibility Form by the deadline. Please note there is no admission fee for PSEO applicants.
2. PSEO Applicant Essay Submit a typed, double-spaced, 300-word essay expressing your opinion on the following topic: Recent research suggest that high school students' level of preparation for college is on the decline nation-wide. As a student who will soon be applying to college, what factors do you think are contributing to this decline in college preparation?
Your essay will be evaluated on your documented research on the topic, structure, organization of thoughts and ideas, grammar usage, etc. Your opinion on this topic will not be considered in the admission process. Return your essay with the remainder of your application materials by the deadline.
3. Counselor Recommendation Form and Official High School Transcript Have your high school guidance counselor complete the Kent State at Ashtabula PSEO Counselor Recommendation Form and submit an official high school transcript. A high school transcript is only considered official if it is received in a sealed envelope. Return it in a sealed envelope with your application. It is your responsibility to allow enough time for your counselor to complete this form, prepare and official transcript and and return them to you prior to the application deadline.
4. Teacher Recommendation Forms (2) Have two (2) former or current high school teachers of your choice complete a Kent State at Ashtabula PSEO Teacher Recommendation Form. We recommend that you have teachers in the same subject area as you wish to enroll at Kent State at Ashtabula complete the forms, but this is not mandatory. Return these in sealed envelopes with your application. It is your responsibility to allow enough time for your teachers to complete these forms and return them to you prior to the application deadline.
5. ACT or SAT Scores If your ACT or SAT scores are not included on your high school transcript, heave them submitted to Kent State Ashtabula by the deadline.
Kent State Ashtabula's ACT code is 3773 and SAT code is 1485. For ACT registration information, visit the ACT Web site at www.actstudent.org. For SAT registration information, visit the College Board Web site at www.collegeboard.org.
6. Post Secondary Assessment & Information Session (PAIS Program) You and one of your parents or a legal guardian (if they have not attended a high school information night) are required to attend a PAIS Program at Kent State at Ashtabula. At the PAIS Program, you and your parent/guardian will receive information about program policies, procedures and expectations. When your application and all support materials are received, you will be notified of available PAIS Program dates.
7. COMPASS Applicants are also required to take the COMPASS Assessment of Basic Academic Skills to further assist in the determination of your preparedness for college level work. You will take the COMPASS Assessment at the PAIS Program.
8. Interview At the completion of the PAIS Program, you will schedule your personal interview with the PSEO Counselor.