Students must be admitted in order to take Kent State University placement tests.
Before making a reservation for Inside Track, all new students must schedule to take the placement assessments (transfer students and re-enrolled students will be reviewed upon acceptance). To schedule your placement testing time slot please click here.
The ALEKS placement test can be taken online from home through FlashLine. Students who wish to take ALEKS placement on-campus are welcome to do so during a Placement Testing time block.
New students who have current ACT scores will be placed in reading and writing courses according to ACT reading and English subscores.
New students who do not have current ACT scores must take COMPASS reading and writing. COMPASS is a comprehensive, self-paced computer testing program that helps place students into appropriate courses and maximizes the information colleges need to ensure student success.
ALEKS and COMPASS test results are used by academic advisors to determine proper course placement.
- ALEKS and COMPASS are administered at no charge.
- Photo ID required for testing.
- The ALEKS placement may take up to 90 minutes to complete.
- COMPASS reading and writing may take up 60 minutes to complete. If you are taking COMPASS and would like to take ALEKS on campus, you should allow yourself 2.5 hours.
- You can get more information about COMPASS here.
- You can get more information on ALEKS here.
It is recommended that students interested in majoring in Nursing or Allied Health related fields complete the Ashtabula campus Science Placement Assessment. Click here to take the assessment.